Retail Operations Manager
Company: Goodwill Southern California
Location: Rowland Heights
Posted on: September 15, 2022
Goodwill Southern California (GSC) prepares and places thousands
of individuals into sustainable employment through programs and
services throughout Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino
counties. As one of the leading non-profit brands in the world, and
the largest non-profit in Southern California, we have been
transforming lives through the power of work for over 100 years.
Goodwill Southern California supports its mission with proceeds
generated from over 78 retail stores and over 44 attended donation
centers, as well as from charitable donations and grants from the
public and private sectors. Goodwill SoCal is a rapidly evolving
organization and yet we have never been more focused - on our
mission, on our people, and on our future. It's always a GOOD day
in SoCal! Primary Responsibility / Summary Responsible for the
efficient operation of a Retail Store, Boutique or Attended
Donation Center (ADC), with accountability for the operations
functions.Under the direction of the Site Manager, leads team to
achieve established goals for sales, production, customer service,
payroll, safety and expense control.Closely collaborates with Site
Manager to achieve standards and goals. Goodwill Southern
California greatly values our employees' health and well-being. Per
company Policy, all our employees are required to be fully
vaccinated for COVID-19. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs manager on duty activities as assigned by Site
Manager. Including opening and closing, managerial operations of a
cash register; trains, leads and encourages Ambassadors to meet
goals, providing training and guidance while maintaining
established company standard operating procedures (SOP).
- Provide excellent service, engages with each Ambassador,
customer and donor, while presenting a friendly and cooperative
attitude. Role models, communicates and coaches our Mission and
RISE (Respect, Integrity, Service and Integrity) Values to our
Ambassadors, customers and donors.
- Ensure a safe work environment by maintaining a clean and safe
environment by following all established company standard operating
policies and procedures and exercises caution in work related
- Adheres, coaches and trains Ambassadors on de-escalation
practices regarding the public and proper procedures for loss
- and communicates concerns, contacting the District Manager for
guidance when the Site Manager is not available.
- Supervisory responsibilities include; training Ambassadors;
planning, assigning, scheduling and directing work; providing input
on performance appraisals; recognizing, developing Ambassadors;
addressing complaints and resolving problems. Follows up on all
assigned projects. Gives corrective feedback under direction of the
- Monitors and maintains salesfloor, production area, structural,
electrical, store equipment, landscaping, housekeeping, loss
prevention and safety to company standards.
- Buying: Trains, evaluates and coaches Ambassadors to process
donated goods meeting quantity, quality and key performance
indicator (KPI) business goals, following established SOPs and
- Ecommerce: Trains, evaluates and coaches Ambassadors
- Ensures accurate capture of donor information, proper sorting
of goods and maintaining safety according to
- Backroom: Ensuring proper procedures are followed to maintain
backroom compliance including, transferring goods, Kaizen, hazmat,
supply storage, purchased product, safety and truck swaps.
- Work flexible shifts; including nights, weekends, holidays and
overtime when needed. May be required to work at a nearby location.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in the Truck Swap process and performs necessary
cleaning and janitorial work.
- Attends meetings and training as required.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned. Supervisory
- This job supervises 5-10 ambassadors when acting as
manager-on-duty.Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an
individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. Education & Experience
- 1-3 years of supervisory experience in a customer focused
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
College degree helpful.
- Ability to multitask projects of varying scope and complexity
with minimum supervision.
- Ability to share Goodwill's purpose with the public and ask for
monetary donations and customer/donor information.
- Bilingual in Spanish helpful.
- Must be proficient in using computers and other technology
necessary to complete the activities assigned.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Outlook, completing surveys
using electronic platforms in order to complete daily tasks.
- Strong Communication, training, developing and people
- Demonstrated success with process accountability and
multi-tasking. Other Qualifications
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Punctual and dependable attendance.
- Free from alcohol and drug abuse.
- Understands the basic philosophy of Goodwill and participates
fully in carrying out its mission.
- Adheres to Goodwill's values of Respect, Integrity, Service, &
Excellence. English Language Skills
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure
manuals.Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.Ability
to speak effectively before groups of customers or ambassadors of
organization. Mathematical Skills
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts,
interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area,
circumference, and volume.Ability to apply concepts of basic
algebra and geometry. Reasoning Ability
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.Computer Skills
- Time and Attendance systems
- Microsoft Words, Excel and Outlook
- Some HRIS experience helpful
- POS system
- Personal computers
- Microsoft Outlook
- Daily usage of technology and tracking applications to complete
tasks Required Training
- New Hire Orientation
- Supervisory Essentials training
- AB1825: Harassment Prevention training
- Mandated Reporter Values-Based Work Environment Notice Goodwill
Southern California provides a values-based work environment for
our ambassadors.All individuals are expected to support and promote
- We treat everyone with respect, compassion and inclusion,
recognizing their contributions and differences.
- We conduct business with transparency, integrity and
- We pursue a vision of excellence and continuous improvement to
better the lives of those we serve. Pre-Employment Testing
- Drug Screen
- Background Check
- Employment Verification
- Verification of COVID-19 Vaccinations Goodwill Industries in
Southern California is an equal opportunity employer and gives
consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or
protected veteran status. If you'd like more information about your
EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here:
Goodwill gives preferential consideration to persons with barriers
to employment. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity Goodwill is committed to a policy of
equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees.
Employment decisions will comply with all applicable laws
prohibiting discrimination in employment including Title VII of the
Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Employment Act of
1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Immigration
and Nationality Act, and any other characteristic protected by
federal or state law. Nondiscrimination on the Basis of
Disabilities In furtherance of our commitment to end discrimination
against qualified disabled individuals, and in accordance with the
provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the
Americans with Disabilities Act, and all regulations properly
issued thereunder to protect the rights of qualified disabled
persons, it is Goodwill's policy that no program or activity
administered by it shall exclude from participation, deny benefits
to or subject to discrimination any individual solely by reason of
his or her disability. Equal employment opportunity will be
extended to qualified disabled persons in all aspects of the
employer-employee relationship, including recruitment, hiring,
upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, layoff,
recall and termination. We further affirm that we will provide
reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental
limitations of an otherwise qualified disabled employee or
applicant. It is the policy of Goodwill to provide reasonable
accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are
employees or applicants for employment. If you need assistance for
accommodations to interview because of a disability, please notify
the Human Resources Department. Employment opportunities will not
be denied to anyone because of the need to make reasonable
accommodations for a disability. Other details
- Job Family :Retail
- Pay Type :Hourly
- Hiring Rate :$17.75
Keywords: Goodwill Southern California, Rowland Heights , Retail Operations Manager, Hospitality & Tourism , Rowland Heights, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!